HOW BRANDING EFFECTS ENVIRONMENTAL WAYFINDING IN MAJOR (SPORTS) COMPLEXES
INTRO – Start of sport(s) complexes
- Intro of industrial complexes for sport
- How industrialization of sports created communities
- What effect did this have on society?
CROWD PSYCHOLOGY –
- How industrialization shaped crowd psychology
- How does mob mentality effect architecture/construction
- Exits, stairs, general flow, etc.
- Why we move through space the way we do
- Types of crowds
- Gustave Le Bon
- Submergence, contagion, suggestion
- Shared experience
- Primal Horde
- Deindividuation Theory
- Typical crowd situations can weaken personal controls, decrease rational thought
- Convergence Theory
- Crowd behavior is not a product of the crowd, but the crowd is a product of the coming together of like-minded individuals
- Similar disposition/actions relate to others in the crowd
- Emergent Norm Theory
- Norms emerge from the crowd
- Key members suggest appropriate action
ARCHITECTUAL MOTIVATION –
- Industrialization – accommodating the population
- When/why did the experience need to change
- Growth of technology
- Need for expansion
- Material availability
- Creative allowance
- Emergence of digital technology
- Use in user experience
- Effect of digital media on UX
BRANDING = EXPERIENCE –
- Evolution of sign painting
- How did the change of medium relate to the change of user experience?
- Does the team brand restrict the creative allowance in architecture?
- Evolution of sign painting
- Environmental signage
- Color use
- How does a team brand effect the user experience?
- Color/font restrictions
- Promotion VS. experience
- How do the motivations of the ownership of a franchise effect creative allowance?
Adamatzky, Andrew. Dynamics of Crowd-minds: Patterns of Irrationality in Emotions, Beliefs and Actions. New Jersey: World Scientific, 2005. Print. ISBN:9812562869
Bon, Gustave Le. The Crowd; a Study of the Popular-mind. New York: Viking, 1960. Print. not able to find ISBN
Broto, Carles. Architecture on Sports Facilities. Barcelona: Structure, 2005. Print. ISBN:9788493400774
Calori, Chris. Signage and Wayfinding Design: A Complete Guide to Creating Environmental Graphic Design Systems. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley, 2007. Print. ISBN:1118692993
Kitchin, Rob, and Mark Blades. The Cognition of Geographic Space. London: I.B. Tauris, 2002. Print. ISBN:1860647049
Li, Chunmei. Sports Architecture. Shengyang Shi: Liaoning Ke Xue Ji Shu Chu Ban She, 2012. Print. ISBN:9789881545015
Moscovici, Serge. The Age of the Crowd: A Historical Treatise on Mass Psychology. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1985. Print. ISBN:0521277051
Russell, Gordon W. Aggression in the Sports World: A Social Psychological Perspective. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2008. Print. ISBN:9780198040835
Thornton, Charles H. Exposed Structure in Building Design. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1993. Print. ISBN:0070645388
Westerbeek, Hans. Managing Sport Facilities and Major Events. London: Routledge, 2006. Print. ISBN:0415401097
Gibson, David. The Wayfinding Handbook: Information Design for Public Places. New York: Princeton Architectural, 2009. Print.ISBN:9781568987699
Steinfeld, Edward, and Jordana Maisel. Universal Design: Creating Inclusive Environments. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, 2012. Print.ISBN:9780470399132
Bechtel, Robert B., and Arzah Ts’erts’man. Handbook of Environmental Psychology. New York: J. Wiley & Sons, 2002. Print.ISBN:9780471188476
Meilinger, Tobias. Strategies of Orientation in Environmental Spaces. Berlin: Logos-Verl., 2008. Print. ISBN:9783832519971
Zweig, David. “How You Know Where You’re Going When You’re in an Airport.” The Atlantic. Atlantic Media Company, 12 June 2014. Web. 11 Mar. 2015.
“Leading Brands Are Finding Their Way to Immersive Guest Experiences with Reflect WayFinder.” Prnewswire. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Mar. 2015.
Berger, Craig. Wayfinding: Designing and Implementing Graphic Navigational Systems. Crans-Près-Céligny: RotoVision, 2005. Print.ISBN:9782880468187
Wheeler, Alina. Designing Brand Identity: A Complete Guide to Creating, Building, and Maintaining Strong Brands. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley, 2003. Print. ISBN:9780471746843
Tufte, Edward R. Envisioning Information. Cheshire, Conn. Graphics, 1990. Print. ISBN:9780961392116
Venturi, Robert, Denise Scott Brown, and Steven Izenour. Learning from Las Vegas: The Forgotten Symbolism of Architectural Form. Cambridge, MA: MIT, 2000. Print. ISBN:9780262720069